Thursday, March 22, 2012

what should I name this post?

Is there a difference between a professor and a teacher? I think a teacher does more hand-holding while a professor stimulates ideas in the mind. Teaching is recognized as a very meaningful and yet very demanding job here. We are assigned the posts of Civil Servants, and the profession is looked upon with respect.
This is something which has set me thinking for a while. My final posting is to a Junior College. It is equivalent to my A Levels, and roughly equivalent to the eleventh and twelfth standards of Indian schools, but not exactly. Here, Junior College life is more like College life. Admissions to these colleges are very competitive and very selective. The students are given a holistic pre-University college experience, and te academic levels are high...the Lit texts they read are quite demanding, ranging from Pinter to Jean Rhys.
When I first came here last March, I taught at a JC for 10 weeks. I took a class on Wide Sargasso Sea, and a lot of English classes and remedial lessons. I thoroughly enjoyed JC life...most of the students thought I was a new student as well, haha, but that was soon rectified. I will cherish those days forever. The memories will never leave me. The students were eager, willing t learn and very responsive. My colleagues were fabulous and very supportive. The canteen was exquisite and I loved a little cafe they had, it was so quaint, and the food so wholesome and comforting.
Then I made a whole host of RT (Relief Teacher) friends...I felt like I was 19/20 again. I was 23 last year, when I came here, and I felt caught in between my late adolescence and early adulthood. We went out to eat one day, in a big, big, group. We hit Orchard Road, and had a hearty meal at Fish and Co. My friends had ice-cream after that, but I obeyed my throat and refrained.
I will never forget how my friend Shuen, a very sweet girl, gifted me a pair of tottering high heels, because she thought that they suited the personality of a JC prof..haha, and I wore them, looked awkwardly tall, and almost fell down the stairs.
I remember how I went to watch Shakespeare in The Park, Macbeth, with my College, and the wonderful time I had there...I remember how lost I had felt on my very first day, but how things quickly fell into place. I can't believe it's been a year exactly, since I first stepped into that JC...so much has happened since...I have gone through my NIE training, and am doing practicum now...practicum is happening at a sECONDARY sCHOOL, BUT i HAVE WARMED UP TO THE STUDENTS NOW...I am having a great time with them now, but the work-load is quite a lot, and the hours are very long. I leave home, (read: Hall) at 6 and get back at about 7...
My final posting will be to a different JC...I had applied to teach there, as it is a very good and competitive place, and I feel blessed to have been selected...but I will miss teaching secondary school in more ways than one.
I am looking forward to May, when I will be free for a while...and then I'll be here for 3 more years, working for the JC...sometimes 3 years seems like a long period of time...I have told myself that after these years, I will not work such long hours. I am a very family oriented person. I will definitely work, but for much shorter hours. My dream of dreams is to pursue a part time PhD, write books and books of poetry and prose, and teach some part-time classes. But I want to be surrounded by my family and those whom I love. I will never stay alone like this again.
Not that I feel very lonely here. The people in Singapore are AWESOME. I would whole-heartedly recommend the place simply for the people here. The are so friendly, polite and warm-hearted. I have made a host of local friends here, at NIE, and have had so many interesting conversations with htem. I will be in touch with them forever.
I have also had the opportunity to do a VERY REWARDING SERVICE LEARNING PROJECT at NIE.
I miss Calcutta, but I love Singapore too. In Calcutta, I am still the child. In Singapore I have attained some modicum of maturity. Even when I leave this country, I will take some things with me. The art of being humane and polite seems ingrained in most people you will meet on the streets. I love their public transport system, their promotion of an active life-style, and their vast diversity of food culture. I love the fact that there are so many trees, and that every body works so hard. It is a stressful life I am leading now, but I do hope that in the 'long after-years,' this has become a favourite phrase of mine, I will look back upon this experience and smile.
Sometimes I feel like I could not have done what I am doing now without the absolute support of my family. They lov me so much. I am an only child. Yet, they let me come here, to pursue my dreams and fly high. That is what selfless love seems to be about...you need to love someone enough to let the person go and do something for him/herself, no matter how hard it is for both parties. I remember the part, in The Beauty and the Beast(one of my favourite movies of all time) when the Beast lets Belle leave, to meet her ailing father, even though he knows that if she leaves, the spell on him will never be broken. That, in my opinion, is the perfect example of selfless love.
What is my take on relationships? Well, I have NEVER been in one. Why? I want to love one person all my life, and I do not wish to dissipate my love indiscriminately. I do not believe in short, casual relationships AT ALL. I mean, all relationships involve risks, but at least the intentions should be earnest. If things still do not work out, things weren't meant to be. But I am very scared of a relationship NOT working out. Also, I am ultra cautious in these matters. I know that once I commit to someone, I will give 250% into the relationship. I will love with every square inch of my heart and soul. I don't want to get hurt. I believe a romantic relationship is sacred, and needs full commitment on both sides. And I am a very, very romantic person at heart...I think I will be quite the gushing, mushy type in love...let's see...
My favorite book series in the world is The Anne of Green Gables Series, by L,.M. mOTGOMERY...I GUSH ABOUT HER EVERY NOW AND THEN...I think I am very like Anne in some ways...I love the books, they are my guiding philosophies...

No comments: