Thursday, March 22, 2012

Classsssss

Yes, I have been teaching, teaching and teaching. Romeo and Juliet is really very enjoyable to teach, I love the rapturous looks on the faces of the students, and the gender definitions which crop up even at this very young age. I was taught very differently from the way I am teaching. In CIS, the teaching was more frontal teaching, where Mrs. C. and Mrs. Chatterjee would transport us in to a different world, one of imagination, fantasy and alternate reality, simply by speaking to us and reading the texts with us. I loved the lessons there. Over here, I teach using power-point slides and trigger activities to generate discussion. These are very effective for the students I teach, who respond well to visual and verbal stimuli. I think they like having something to look at, some information to copy down, in order to revise later. In my own school, Literature operated at the intangible level of thoughts and very deep discussions, with less 'scaffolding.'I feel that both these approaches have positive aspects.
Yesterday, the Chinese girl Meiyu, (who has become a very good friend of mine, (we are working in the same school) and I ...we are also living in nearby Halls of Residence in NTU, went to pamper our souls with some Hong Kong desserts...food has really been a source of comfort in Singapore...I had this most delicious warm Almond and Sesame paste...we also shared this mango dessert with sticky rice wrapped around...yumm...I did not think I would enjoy the desserts as much as I did. I am more a cake and tea kind of person.
Being a Bangali, I am expected to love MISHTI and Bangali sweets...but I don't like Sandesh much, I find it dry...I am force-fed these widely acknowledged delicacies by my parents from time to time, every now and again. I love the dark sweet, called the Pantua tough...ouwch, I miss it now.
I love berries of all sorts...Blue-berry cheese-cake, strawberry short-cake, mmhmm...but can ANYTHING EVER beat CHOCOLATEEEEEEE?
Kookie Jar remains one of my most favourite bakeries till date...I miss all my birthday cakes from there...I will not be home for my birthday this year :((((((( waaahh, sob, sob, sobby some more...
A good night's sleep has made me feel slightly better today...let's hope this lasts...I have so much work to do, but obviously I am distracted atm, writing random, DESULTORY posts on my blog. My blog is becoming very possessive of me...or am I becoming possessed by my blog? Ke jaane?

2 comments:

M said...

Yumm! The dessert sounds wonderful! As for the observations on teaching..interesting. And spoken like a true-blue prof!

dryad said...

Thank you my dearest girl...hahaha, true-blue prof?