Sunday, August 11, 2013

I guess...

I guess absolute happiness is the illusory ideal we all seem to pursue silently and actively, determinedly and hesitantly...but the problem with this ideal is that nowhere is ideal...as I have often thought to myself these days, everywhere is perfect and not prefect, all at once...does that sound contradictory, because the idea of perfection seems to imply the exclusion of anything not pleasant...but honestly, the more I study things, they just seem to be two sides of the same coin...
Not all days are equally good...some days, teaching may bring an instant dose of immense satisfaction, and I often receive messages of warm encouragement from well-wishers who belive that the job that I wake up early each morning to rush to, will make a contribution of some sort which will benefit society. But then again, I wonder why so many memebers of this world, and indeed my own nation, talk about education as a very important tool, but refuse to give adequate, well, recognition to educators and teachers? If we hope to live in a knowledge-based economy, should our focus not shift to the quality of education which is ever so reliant on those who impart knowledge? I still feel that besides my family, my teachers are the beings who most profoundly influenced me and shaped my ideals and world views. There were those teachers who inspired us beyond imagination, whose memories still occupy a prized seat in prime positions of our minds.
That is the prime thought which motivates me to put my best foot forward and try to do my best though of course I have "miles to go," before I can rest in a more assured confidence of my skills.
Other days may bring discouragement, a lack of motivation, other personal problems such as feelings of homesickness and reconciling to the increased complexities which accompany growing up...
Sometimes when I crave rest and just lie on bed, my mind spins and wanders like an energetic top, spun by a very energetic child...so many thoughts move back and forth...and then I try to think back to how I kept myself very happy in the past...the other day I actually strolled in to Popular and strolled out with three volumes of Enid Blyton's short stories, which might seem preposterous for a girl of my age, but makes perfect sense to me...so in the midst of long hours of work, teaching, marking, happy and serious conversations, and reading Hemingway's 'A Farewell to Arms,' I have been peppering my moments with small doses of those familiar short tales from my childhood, and feeling an instant surge of re-connect and happiness.
As the days go by, I have to realise that a lot of Life is just about coming to terms with situations as they are. At a younger age, one might think it is possible to change the world, at least some of its aspects...but the only route to any change is really a change within, beginning with introspection and reflection and culminating in one's own actions. Of course, along the way one meets people to help, guide and share, but this primarily remains an individual endeavour and a deep dialogue with a Higher Being.

No comments: