Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Wintry Morning.

I am back in my room. I am back to the clickety-clackity sounds of my old lap top. My Window is open behind me, looking upon the Bridge, on which I used to travel to and from my College cum University. My room has welcomed me back with an ease which belies my absence.
The weather is just as it used to be...I never want to miss this evasive chill, the mist-laden mornings, the honey-tinted afternoons, which is really almost akin to a turned-over jar of honey being slowly emptied of its sunshiny goldenness. And then the sudden Darkness, the too-early evenings, the nippiest nip in the air....ooh.
And the best thing about being back is JUST being back. It feels like I've never left. All my little idiosyncracies pounce back upon me as soon as I return, the ones which I though I had lost forever. My books are yearning to be read another time, note pads wish to be scribbled in, or so I'd like to believe. And stories are spinning in my head, unwoven thoughts which wish to be woven into a narrative.
And then there are Weddings to attend, re-unions to attend. oH the pleasures they afford.
Here is my room, in which I had spun together the Golden threads of ambition. SorRY fot the constant reference to Golden, but it is SUCH a golden DAY TODAY. In this room had I pain-stakingly solved SAT and subsequently GRE papers. The very walls will testify the many application essays which I had written, the tests I'd studied for. The musical notations which I had tried to make sense of still waft silently across the room, and hang in stillness in the many corners and nooks. Ech piece of furniture has a fun anecdote to share. Like the table which had to be dragged up four flights because it could not possibly be fit into the lift, the wardrobe, built under my mum's supervision, which took days and days to take shape, the red revolving chair which had fallen with me, and had to be repaired, being quite indispensable.
The sounds of the garage, which used to annoy me in the past, have ceased to irk me now. They re-assure me in their steadfast, unshaken presence, something still unchanged in this ever-changing world. Now, that sounds quite bizarre. Hmmmm. And my Purple-Pink Quilt, which I love so much is still so snug and warm, and rosysmelling.
I love the sofa upholstery tooooooo....the warm red and beige stripes which spell HOME.

2 comments:

Pancha Janya said...

Well written, gives a view into the intricacies of your room and the attachments you share with it. :-)

dryad said...

Thank you Vittal, thanks for being encouraging!